About the chart
- Pure vowels are arranged the same way as in the IPA chart: according to mouth shape (left to right, lips wide / round - top to bottom, jaw closed / open).
- Diphthongs are grouped in rows according to their second sound.
Try some pronunciation activities
- Telephone number pronunciation
- What's the pronunciation?
- Pronunciation of past simple verbs
- Phonemic symbols to download
- Using the phonemic chart for autonomous learning
You can download a non-interactive image version of the British Council's phonemic chart below.
Sounds Right app
The interactive phonemic chart is available for you to download from the Google Play store for Android devices or the App store for Apple devices. Find out more about the interactive mobile app version of the phonemic chart
The app was finished in 2020. What are the option to open the file? FLASH PLAYER
we no longer have the Flash files available. The best way to access the interactive phonemic chart is to download the Sounds Right App. You can find the link to this on the page.
Hi, is the chart still unavailable for MAC OS users?
The chart is currently only available as an EXE file
Apologies for the inconvenience,
I couldn't download the chart
Can i know how to download phonemic chart thru samsung note2?
At the moment the download options are those listed above. We may have other options available in the future so keep watching this space!
A download option for Mac users is something that we might be able to offer in the future. Thanks for your suggestion Chrislann!